Root Vegetable & Apple Slaw with Apricot Ginger Dressing
Golden beets and apricots offer more than just a sunny hue – they also pack a punch of beneficial nutrients. Golden beets are rich in fiber and potassium, while apricots contain vision-supportive vitamin A and collagen-building vitamin C.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This Apple Slaw is perfect for an outdoor BBQ. Find grilling recipes here.
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus additional, to taste
- 1 golden beet, peeled and grated
- 3 to 4 multicolored carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 Granny Smith apples, grated
- 6 radishes, trimmed and grated
- Ground black pepper, to taste, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped unsweetened dried apricots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp peeled and grated ginger
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 11/2 tsp raw honey
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, plus additional to taste, optional
- Prepare dressing: In a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients. Set aside at room temperature.
- Prepare slaw: To a small saucepan, add 1/2 tsp salt and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Add grated beet and blanch for 30 seconds, until water returns to a boil. Drain and rinse with cold water. Dry; add to a large bowl. (NOTE: Blanching the beet helps to mellow its earthy flavor; skip this step if you prefer it raw.)
- To bowl with beet, add carrots, apples and radishes. Add dressing and toss. Season with additional salt and pepper (if using).