Fish-Stuffed Peppers with Cilantro Ginger Pistou
Pistou adds a big dose of flavor to roasted fish and vegetables.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Pistou is a fragrant blend of fresh herbs that’s similar to pesto (unlike pesto, though, it doesn’t contain nuts). Here, it’s used to add a big dose of flavor to roasted fish and vegetables. With this recipe you’ll have extra pistou that you can freeze for later. After defrosting, try it tossed in with pasta or barley, or stir a spoonful into chicken soup.
- 2 bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded (TIP: Look for longer peppers to fit the fillets.)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, optional (TIP: Look for frozen cooked brown rice and thaw before using.)
- 4 5-oz haddock or cod fillets
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1. Assemble peppers: Preheat oven to broil on high. On a baking sheet misted with cooking spray, arrange peppers, cavity side up. Spoon ¼ cup rice into each pepper (if using) and top with 1 fish fillet. Top each fillet with equal amounts of fennel and oil. Broil until fish flakes easily and peppers are tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, to a blender, add all pistou ingredients; pulse to form a smooth paste.
3. In a small saucepan, heat desired amount of pistou on low until warmed. When stuffed peppers are removed from oven, drizzle pistou generously over top. Serve with lemon wedges. (NOTE: Place remaining pistou in a freezer-safe container and store for future use.)
- Serving Size 1 stuffed pepper
- Calories 258
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 73 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 480 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g