Mushroom Walnut Lentil Balls
Try these hearty mushroom walnut lentil balls served over whole-wheat spaghetti or on a roll with mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- ¼ cup grape seed oil, divided
- 9 oz mixed mushrooms (portobello, stemmed shiitake or cremini), diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup unsalted walnuts, chopped
- 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1 1/2 cups whole spelt flour
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
1. In a small bowl, mix together 1 cup water and flaxseeds. Set aside to thicken.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium-high, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add mushrooms and sauté until slightly brown, about 5 minutes.
3. Add onions, garlic, basil, cumin, paprika and cayenne (if using). Sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add walnuts and sauté until slightly toasted, about 3 minutes more. Stir in soy sauce and remove from heat. Transfer to a large bowl and wipe out skillet.
4. To large bowl with mushroom mixture, add flaxseed mixture, lentils, flour, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Knead until well combined and flour is fully incorporated. Roll mixture into balls using about 2 tbsp mixture per ball.
5. In same large skillet on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add one-third of lentil balls. Cover and cook until brown, about 8 minutes, turning halfway. Repeat with remaining oil and lentil balls. Serve over spaghetti or on a whole-grain sub roll with marinara sauce, or let cool then transfer to a resealable container and store in the fridge. To reheat, arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 375ºF for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serving Size 7 to 8 balls
- Calories 393
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 22.5 g
- Fiber Content 9.5 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 392 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 16 g