Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutrients per serving (1/2 cup oats, 4 oz salmon, 1/2 cup vegetables): Calories: 266, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g, Omega-3s: 1,850 mg, Omega-6s: 580 mg, Carbs: 22 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 24 g, Sodium: 197 mg, Cholesterol: 58 mg
Nutritional Bonus: Oats boast the highest proportion of soluble fiber of any grain on store shelves. Not only has soluble fiber been found to help reduce LDL cholesterol and your risk of cardiovascular disease when eaten regularly, but it may also have anti-inflammatory effects and boost the immune system, according to a study published by Brain, Behavior, and Immunity.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-low for 1 minute. Add oats and onion and toast for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour in boiling water. Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer oats for 25 minutes. Check to see if oats have reached an al dente tenderness. If so, remove from heat; if not, continue simmering for another 3 minutes and check again.
- Let oats stand and thicken for 2 minutes before gently stirring in remaining ingredients. Divide salmon-oat hash among 4 plates, then garnish each with dill, if desired.
- Calories 0
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g