Chicken & Pineapple Skewers with Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce
Paying homage to '50s and '60s Tiki culture, a faux-Polynesian trend that lives on in themed bars across the globe, this tropical appetizer offers a tinge of Tiki taste without the high fat or refined sugar.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp low-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp ginger, freshly grated, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 lb fresh pineapple, cubed
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 lb fresh pineapple, cubed
- Zest and juice 1 lime
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger, divided
- In a large bowl, whisk together onions, soy sauce, vinegar, honey and ginger. Add chicken and cover, leaving it to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- If you’re using an indoor grill, preheat the grill to high or heat a medium-sized pan on your stovetop over high heat for at least 3 minutes. Drain chicken, discarding marinade, and using 12 skewers of about 6 inches in length, alternate cubes of chicken with cubes of pineapple, capping each skewer off with 1 cherry tomato. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until browned.
- Prepare sauce: Place all ingredients into a food processor fitted with a standard blade. Chop until well blended, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Nutrients per serving (1 skewer and 2 tbsp sauce): Calories 80, Total Fat: 1 g, Sat. Fat: 0 g, Carbs: 10 g, Fiber: 0 g, Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 8 g, Sodium: 120 mg, Cholesterol: 20 mg
Nutritional Bonus: Sweet and tart, pineapple is a great source of vitamin C, which promotes a healthy immune system and helps prevent colds, flus and other infections.