Savory Porridge with Asparagus & Feta
Give your porridge a postmodern twist - oat bran is as creamy and satisfying as polenta and is the perfect base for this savory porridge that is packed with some of the season's veggies.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Love this savory porridge? Try our breakfast porridge recipe.
Hands-on time: 13 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced asparagus spears
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked oat bran cereal
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- Place broth in a medium covered pot on high heat and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, heat oil in a small nonstick skillet on medium. Add asparagus and scallions and saut_ for 5 minutes. Season with 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- When broth has come to a boil, add oat bran cereal. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, season with remaining 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and let rest for 2 minutes to thicken.
- Divide oat bran porridge among 4 cereal bowls. Top each portion with a quarter of asparagus mixture, 1/2 oz feta and 1/2 tbsp mint.
Nutrients per serving (1/4 savory porridge): Calories: 156, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 27 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 9 g, Sodium: 423 mg, Cholesterol: 12 mg
Rich in fiber, asparagus also contains a whopping amount of vitamin K – 1 cup contains 70% of your daily need – which helps with bone formation and is essential for blood clotting.