Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 2 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen, thawed and drained corn kernels
- 1 tbsp white whole-wheat or whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cooked or BPA-free canned unsalted black beans
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cook rice according to package directions. Uncover, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mist squash with cooking spray and toss. Add chile powder, cayenne and 1 tbsp lime juice; toss to coat. Arrange squash in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.
- Mist a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add onion, jalapeno and corn. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add beans and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes, until thickened. (NOTE: If you’re planning to freeze the casserole, make sure to cool all ingredients to room temperature before combining in step 4.)
- Transfer rice, squash and corn mixture to a large bowl. Add remaining 2 tbsp lime juice, stir well to combine and season with salt and black pepper. Transfer mixture into an 8-inch square non-stick or glass oven-safe baking dish and smooth out mixture with a spatula. Top with cheese. (To prep for freezer, move to Freeze & Reheat instructions.)
- Cover with foil, bake for 25 minutes, or until hot throughout.
Nutrients per serving (1 cup wild rice casserole): Calories: 176, Total Fat: 3 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 28.5 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 11 g, Sodium: 229 mg, Cholesterol: 5 mg
TO FREEZE & REHEAT:
Reheating time: 45 minutes. Wrap securely with plastic wrap and freeze, a minimum of overnight. Cook from frozen: Preheat oven to 400_F. Remove plastic wrap and cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, or until hot throughout.