Banana Cream Pie for Breakfast? Why Not! This Paleo Pudding is a Good-for-You Treat
Creamy, sweet and full of banana flavor, this pudding makes for one seriously delicious morning meal – all while satisfying your nutritional needs.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Digging into a slice of decadent banana cream pie isn’t exactly the healthiest start to your day. And, in general, having dessert for breakfast isn’t going to deliver the key nutrients you need (though it does taste pretty great!). But we’ve come up with the perfect solution, one that’ll allow you to enjoy all the deliciousness of dessert in the morning without any guilt. Just dig your spoon into our Banana Cream Pie Chia Pudding.
No, it’s not too good to be true: This sweet breakfast pudding offers up all of the classic flavor of banana cream pie, but it’s way better for you. And it includes the vitamins, minerals and more that you need to fuel your mornings, without the added sugar or a sugar crash midway through the day. Made with fiber-rich ripe bananas, antioxidant-rich chia seeds, and the flavors of vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup, it’s a breakfast that feels like a total treat even though it does plenty of good for your overall health.
Plus, this Banana Cream Pie Chia Pudding is also a great fit for anyone who’s following the Paleo diet. With coconut milk in place of dairy-based milk, it’s even a decadent choice for those who are dairy-free. Even better? You can make this pudding ahead of time and keep it in the fridge so you have a ready-made breakfast to enjoy no matter how hectic your mornings might be. If you’re a fan of bananas and banana-y treats, this is a breakfast that’ll quickly become a favorite.
Banana Cream Pie Chia Pudding
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 2 medium-size ripe bananas, peeled
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp chia seeds
- Optional, for topping: fresh bananas, cinnamon, coconut flakes
- In a blender, combine the coconut milk, bananas, maple syrup (if using), vanilla, and cinnamon. Blend until smooth. Pour into a large jar or glass bowl.
- Add the chia seeds and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate 4-8 hours, stirring every 10 minutes for the first 40 minutes.
- Spoon pudding into serving glasses, garnish with desired toppings, and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Paleo Magazine