You can always buy hummus from the store, but the best hummus is from scratch with our simple recipe.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A LOFTY LEGUME: The main ingredient in a classic hummus, chickpeas are one of the richest sources of folate, or vitamin B9. This nutrient plays a key role in keeping your ticker healthy by helping to keep an amino acid called homocysteine in check, an increased blood level of which is linked to cardiovascular disease. Chickpeas are also rich in dietary fiber, which helps keep blood sugar balanced.
1¼ cups dry chickpeas, picked over to remove stones
6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
¼ cup tahini paste
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, whole or roughly chopped
¾ tsp coarse sea salt
1. To a large saucepan, add chickpeas and cover with water. Let soak for 8 to 24 hours, or until they have almost doubled in size. (QUICK-SOAKING TRICK: Instead of soaking overnight, bring chickpeas to a boil in a pot of water; boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside to soak in hot water, covered, for 1 hour.)
2. Drain and cover again with water. Bring to a boil on medium-high. Boil for 1 minute, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until chickpeas are tender, about 2 hours.
3. In a food processor, process lemon juice and tahini for 1 minute, scraping down sides of bowl halfway. Process for the full minute to ensure mixture is creamy and smooth. Add oil, garlic and salt; process for another minute or until no lumps remain and mixture is smooth.
4. Drain chickpeas. To food processor, add chickpeas and blend until smooth. adding 1 to 2 tbsp water to reach desired consistency. Refrigerate in a covered container for up to 5 days. If hummus thickens, stir in 1 to 2 tbsp water, or as needed.
- Serving Size 1/4 cup
- Calories 201
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 151 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g