Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Try putting your Fermented Herb Paste to work in this ultra-creamy
In a food processor, pulse 1/4 cup raw unsalted almonds
until finely chopped. Add
1/2 cup Fermented Herb
Paste, 1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted, 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped, 1/4 tsp
lemon zest and 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice. Pulse until combined and creamy.
1. To a food processor, add basil and parsley; pulse until finely
chopped. (TIP: If you don’t have a
food processor, you can finely mince herbs.) Add garlic and salt; pulse to combine. Let mixture sit until liquids
release, about 5 minutes.
2. Transfer herb mixture to an 8-oz wide-mouth glass jar. Using a
spoon or your hand, press mixture down firmly to release liquid and remove any air pockets, pressing until ingredients are completely submerged and leaving 1 inch head-space between herb mixture and rim of jar.
3. Arrange cabbage leaf directly over top of herb mixture to keep herbs
submerged in liquid; seal loosely with lid.
4. Let ferment in a cool place away from direct sunlight, pressing down on cabbage every 24 hours
or as needed to keep herb mixture
submerged in liquid, for 5 to 10 days.
(TIP: Begin tasting on day 5 and
continue to ferment until mixture reaches desired acidity.)
5. Discard cabbage leaf and top pesto with waxed paper. Seal tightly with lid and refrigerate for up to 12 months.
- Serving Size 2 tbsp
- Calories 9
- Carbohydrate Content 1.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 69 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g