Peanut Butter & Warm Strawberry Jam Quinoa Bowl
Peanut butter and quinoa are the stars of this energizing, high-protein breakfast bowl.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Health Benefit: Protein-packed peanut butter helps fight cravings by keeping you feeling satisfied for longer. It’s also rich in niacin, which has been shown to help reduce the risk of atherosclerosis, as well as manganese, which helps control blood sugar.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1½ cups plain unsweetened almond milk + additional for serving
- 2 tbsp natural unsalted peanut butter
- 1 cup frozen sliced strawberries
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 pitted dates, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped almonds
1. To a medium saucepan on medium-high, add quinoa and almond milk. Bring to a boil and swirl in peanut butter. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 13 to 15 minutes, until quinoa is tender and almost all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and keep covered.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate medium saucepan, cook strawberries and maple syrup over medium-high until berries release their juices and begin to break down, 7 to 9 minutes. Mash berries with a fork and add chia. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
3. Stir quinoa with a fork and divide between 2 bowls. Swirl strawberry mixture through and top with dates and almonds, dividing evenly. Serve with a splash of additional milk on top (if using).
- Serving Size 1 bowl
- Calories 438
- Carbohydrate Content 63 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 143 mg
- Sugar Content 25 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g