The Hangry Woman’s Massaged Kale Salad with Goat Cheese & Pomegranates
The secret to soft, flavorful kale? A citrus massage! Try it out with this simple, vibrant salad from Mila Buckley, founder of acclaimed diabetes recipe and lifestyle blog Hangry Woman.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Check out our Q&A with Mila Buckley, founder of Hangry Woman, and read on for her fresh, flavor-drenched, diabetes-friendly kale salad.
When someone says they don’t like kale, I say, “Okay, you’re going to try my goat cheese and pomegranate massaged kale salad, and I promise you, you’ll love kale after that.” Kale is blood-sugar friendly, has lots of fiber and nutrients, and is really flavorful and easy to make!
– Mila Buckley
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups kale, with ribs and stems
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup unsalted pecans
1. Make dressing: In a large bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, lemon juice and salt. Drizzle in oil and whisk until thickened and fully incorporated.
2. Add kale to dressing mixture and massage with your hands by stirring it around in the bowl, squeezing to get the dressing all over the greens.
3. Once kale is thoroughly massaged, top with goat cheese, seeds and pecans. Eat right away or store for up to 24 hours in an airtight container.