Chicken Shawarma with Lemon Dill Sauce
This slow-cooker version of the Middle Eastern classic is given a twist with ras el hanout, a North African spice blend that can include ginger, anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, peppercorns, cloves, cardamom, nigella, mace, galangal, turmeric and dried flowers such as lavender and rose.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Lemon dill sauce
1 cup x07unsalted cashews, rinsed
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 clove x07garlic
u215b tsp tx07sea salt
1 tbsp tx07chopped fresh dill (or 1 tsp dried dill)
1 cup x07shredded carrots
xbd cup x07thinly sliced red onion
xbc cup x07apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp x07100% apple juice
u215b tsp sea x07salt
1 tbsp x07ras el hanout
xbd tsp x07sea salt
1xbd lb x07boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 cup x07chicken broth or chicken bone broth
x07Bibb lettuce leaves
1. Make sauce: Place cashews in a medium bowl and add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse under cold water. Place cashews, ¾ cup fresh water, lemon juice, garlic and salt in a high-speed blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth. Add additional water, 2 tbsp at a time, to reach drizzling consistency. Transfer to a bowl and stir in dill.
2. Make pickled veggies: In a small bowl, combine carrots, onion, vinegar, apple juice and salt. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator until serving.
3. Make chicken: In a small bowl, combine ras el hanout and salt. Rub chicken with seasoning. Place chicken in a 4-quart slow cooker and add broth.
4. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and discard cooking liquid.
5. Slice chicken and divide among lettuce leaves. Use a slotted spoon to top the chicken with the pickled veggies. Drizzle with the sauce.
Instant pot variation: Make the sauce and pickled vegetables. Follow the directions in the Steps 3 and 4 using a 6-quart Instant Pot. Lock the lid in place. Select Manual and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Use natural release for 5 minutes then quick release. Follow the remaining directions to serve.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 424
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 113 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 38 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 617 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 11 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g