Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Total time: 8 hours, 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion (about 1 large)
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can black beans, drained and rinsed (TRY: Eden Organic Black Beans)
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp instant espresso or coffee granules
- 2 tbsp chile powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp organic evaporated cane juice
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- In a large, nonstick skillet on medium-high heat, add beef and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a 4-qt slow cooker.
- In same skillet, heat 1 tsp oil. Add yellow onion and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer to slow cooker and add peppers, tomatoes, beans, broth, espresso, chile powder and cumin. Stir well, cover and cook on low for 8 hours. (Alternatively, cook on high for 4 hours.) Turn off heat and stir in cane juice, remaining 3 tsp oil and salt.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream and cayenne. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Top chili with sour cream mixture and garnish with green onions.
Nutrients Per Serving (1 cup chili and 2 tbsp cream): Calories: 243, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 16 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 23 g, Sodium: 414 mg, Cholesterol: 52 mg
This chili makes great leftovers; in fact, it will taste even better the next day!