Baked Egg Cups with Garlic Toast Triangles
A unique twist on the classic eggs and toast breakfast with creamy Romano cheese and sautéed button mushrooms
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
These creamy, cheesy egg cups are made in a ramekin, also known as soufflé dish. Made with sautéed button mushrooms, chopped asparagus, and Romano cheese, the breakfast can be made up to a day in advance. To do so, prepare ingredients in ramekins as directed (without baking) and keep in the fridge. About 15 to 20 minutes before you’re ready to serve, simply place them in the water bath and pop them in the oven.
- 2 Tbsp. organic unsalted butter, divided (TRY: Horizon Organic Unsalted Butter)
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup trimmed and chopped asparagus
- 2 Tbsp. half-and-half
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 slices whole-grain bread (about 4 oz total)
- Arrange a rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Fill a 9-inch square baking pan halfway with very hot water. Butter 4 6-oz ramekins with 1 tsp butter each. Set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium-high, heat remaining 2 tsp butter until foamy. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Divide mushrooms evenly among ramekins. Top with asparagus and half-and-half, dividing evenly. Crack 1 egg into each ramekin and top with cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set ramekins into prepared pan and carefully transfer to oven. Bake until whites are set and yolks are still slightly runny, 15 to 18 minutes. Meanwhile, rub cut side of garlic over 1 side of each bread slice and toast until golden. Cut into triangles and serve with egg cups.
- Serving Size 1 egg cup and 1 piece toast
- Calories 225
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 208 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 2.5 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 355 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g