Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment. Cut out 2 10-inch pieces parchment.
- Prepare dough: In a medium bowl, combine flours, arrowroot, flaxseed, onion powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy, 30 seconds; stir into dry mixture. Stir in water and cheese. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare filling: Whisk together eggs, water, salt and pepper. Remove about one-quarter of mixture and reserve for egg wash. In a medium skillet on medium, heat oil. Add shallot and sauté for 2 minutes, until translucent. Stir in spinach and ham; cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl. Add remaining egg mixture to pan and scramble for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir into spinach mixture; let cool.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces. Place 1 piece dough between 2 pieces of parchment. Roll or press out into a 7-inch circle. Gently peel off top sheet of parchment. Press any cracks back together with your fingers as you go. Place one-quarter of filling on one-half of the circle. Using the parchment, fold dough over to create a half moon, then gently peel back parchment. Use your fingers or a fork to seal the edges of the half circle. Seal cracks that form with moist hands. Using parchment that is still underneath, transfer pocket to baking sheet and slide off parchment square. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Brush pockets with reserved egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake for 18 minutes, until golden.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, freeze 2 servings; thaw and reheat when called for.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Serving Size 1 pocket
- Calories 365
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 209 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 775 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4.5 g