Get Twice the Nut Butter for the Same Price When You Make it Yourself
DIY almond - or cashew, or sunflower - butters are surprisingly easy to make and when you make them at home, you get to choose how thick, sweet or textured they are - and save money.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
There are worse vices than nut butter. Calorically dense, it makes for an energizing, satiating snack thanks to ample protein and fat content. The only downside? A 16-ounce jar can cost upwards of $10. Fortunately, you can make it for around half that cost.
Almonds, cashews, and sunflower seeds are all great bases for your nut butter. Don’t be afraid to mix different nuts and seeds, and be sure to get them raw and unsalted. Roasting at home makes them easier to grind, draws out beneficial oils, and deepens the flavor.
Rachael Hartley, a dietitian from Columbia, South Carolina, likes to blend walnuts with maple syrup, macadamia nuts with coconut flakes, and pecans with pumpkin-pie spice. Here, Hartley shares her foolproof recipe for a classic nut or seed spread.
- 3 cups raw nuts or seeds
- 1 tablespoon peanut or neutral-flavored oil (if needed)
- 1 or 2 tablespoons honey, maple syrup, or other sweetener
- Salt, cinnamon, coconut flakes, vanilla extract, or cocoa powder to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the nuts or seeds on a pan and toast until they smell fragrant, about ten minutes, stirring halfway through to keep them from burning.
- Place in a food processor and mix on high until the texture is smooth and runny, scraping down the sides intermittently and adding a little oil for creaminess if needed. This can take up to ten minutes.
- Once it’s smooth, blend in the sweetener and the salt and other flavorings to taste. Transfer the butter to a 16-ounce jar and store at room temperature for a week or in the fridge for several weeks.
Use your homemade nut butter in the following recipes:
CE’s Most Popular Cookie of All Time: Almond Butter Chocolate Chunk
Keto Peanut Butter Cups
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Swirl Freezer Fudge