Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This gluten-free pasta is a beautiful blend of gluten-free flours and seeds. We’ve opted not to use any gums or fillers in this recipe, as many people with gut issues or intolerances try to avoid them; however, the lack of gums does make this pasta a little more delicate. You can use the pasta machine to flatten it, but then we suggest using your fingers to gently press them into bowties or leave in sheets for fresh lasagna.
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Lay out 1 large sheet of parchment paper on a table or counter (about 3 to 4 feet long).
2. In a small bowl, combine flax meal, chia and ¼ cup cold water. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes.
3. In a food processor, pulse brown rice flour, chickpea flour, potato flour, tapioca flour, eggs, oil and chia mixture until a ball of dough forms, 4 to 6 pulses. (If needed, add additional water, 1 tbsp at a time, until dough forms a ball.)
4. Drop dough onto lightly floured work surface and knead 2 to 3 times to bring dough together into a smooth ball. Divide into 4 pieces and wrap in plastic wrap.
5. Working with 1 dough ball at a time, pass through a pasta maker on the widest setting twice, and then reduce setting by one and run dough through once.
6. Lay dough on work surface and, using a knife or a serrated cutter, cut into 1-inch by 1½-inch rectangles.
7. Pinch each rectangle on the long sides to form a bowtie. Place on parchment and cover lightly with plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining 3 balls of dough. (Alternatively, this dough could be rolled out by hand on a floured work surface to 1/16 inch, then cut into rectangles.)
8. Gently add pasta to rapidly boiling water and carefully stir to prevent sticking, until pasta begins to float, 30 seconds. Continue cooking until pasta is tender, 4 to 5 minutes more. Drain and serve with your favorite sauce.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 223
- Carbohydrate Content 36 g
- Cholesterol Content 62 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 75 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g