Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A speedy homemade pesto and store-bought dough make for a flatbread that’s ready faster than you could call for takeout.
1. Preheat a greased grill to medium-high heat.
2. Prepare pesto: In a food processer pulse parsley, walnuts, garlic and ¼ tsp each salt and pepper until finely chopped, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. With the motor running, slowly add 3 tbsp oil until just incorporated. Scrape mixture into a bowl and set aside.
3. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and remaining ¼ tsp each salt and pepper, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are lightly browned and softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
4. On a lightly floured board, roll out dough to ½-inch thickness (about a 12-inch circle). (NOTE: Dough can be rolled into a freeform rectangular shape, just do not roll too thin.) Lay dough on grill grates, cooking until grill marks form and dough lifts easily, 2 to 4 minutes. Using tongs, flip dough and cook other side until grill marks appear, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off one side of grill to set up for indirect cooking. Transfer dough to board and spread pesto on top, leaving a ½-inch border. Top with mushrooms and cheese.
5. Return pizza to unheated side of grill; close lid. Cook until mushrooms are warmed through and cheese is softening, 3 to 6 minutes. Transfer to serving board and cut into slices.
- Serving Size ⅛ of recipe
- Calories 344
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 3 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 618 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g