Hearty, Healthy and Deliciously Spiced, This Vegetable Stew Has It All
Every spoonful of this Paleo-friendly stew is filled with good-for-you ingredients.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Is there anything better on a cool evening with a bit of chill in the air than a hearty, veggie-rich stew? Stews are as filling as they are tasty, with earthy flavors and long-simmered, perfectly tender ingredients. This Paleo vegetable stew checks all of those boxes, all while delivering the perfect combo of nutrients and soul-warming spices – without any meat included.
Since this Paleo vegetable stew is stuffed full of so many different kinds of produce, you’ll get a hearty helping of much-needed nutrients every time you enjoy a bowl. It’s like everything you need nutritionally bundled into one easy recipe. A spoonful of this stew can benefit your immune system, your brain health, your bones, your energy levels and so many more facets of your overall health and wellness.
Here’s a peek at just some of the many vitamins, minerals and nutritional benefits that the ingredients offer:
- Bell peppers: Vitamins A, B6, C, E and K1 plus potassium and folate
- Butternut squash: Vitamins A, B6, C and E plus magnesium, potassium and manganese
- Sweet potato: Vitamins A, B6 and C plus manganese, potassium and copper
- Tomato: Vitamins C and K1 plus folate and potassium
- Cabbage: Vitamins B6, C and K plus folate, manganese and calcium
With all of these nutrients packed into this stew, you’re getting delicious warmth while benefiting your body in multiple ways. And, of course, you can’t overlook the fact that this recipe is fantastic for many different dietary needs. It’s Paleo, but it’s also plant-based and perfect for vegetarians and vegans. But its simple ingredient list also makes this a great gluten-free, dairy-free and low-carb meal that nearly anyone can enjoy.
So, if you’re in need of some extra veggies today, put this deliciously simple stew on the menu. Make a bigger batch, and you can enjoy leftovers tomorrow too.
Paleo Vegetable Stew
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 12 baby onions, peeled but kept whole
- ½ medium red pepper, cut into large chunks
- ½ medium green pepper, cut into large chunks
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14 oz) can vegetable stock
- 1 large zucchini, cut into large chunks
- ½ small head savoy cabbage, cored and sliced lengthways
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for garnish
- Heat the coconut oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes, or until they start to soften and turn brown in spots.
- Add the red and green peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, butternut squash, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and a heaping pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and vegetable stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cabbage. Cook, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in the coconut cream. Season with additional salt, if desired. Spoon soup into serving bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
Recipe courtesy of Paleo Magazine