Pita Paninis with Tuna, Sprouts, Zucchini and Avocado Cream
These loaded paninis, or "little breads" in Italian, don't require a panini press - a toaster oven and a quick press with your hand works too. Alternatively, you can heat the pitas on a grill pan with another pan over top for pressure to get those signature grill marks. With Clean Eating, the options are endless!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: Sprouted seeds, beans, nuts and grains are nutritional powerhouses. The sprouting process breaks down phytic acid, an anti-nutrient that normally binds with minerals such as iron and calcium, and prevents their absorption. Cooking, soaking and marinating foods can also reduce phytic acid to some degree.
COST PER SERVING
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice 1/2 lemon (about 4 tsp)
- 2 6.4-oz pouches cooked tuna in water
- 4 whole-wheat pitas (each 6 inches in diameter), halved and pockets opened
- 4 oz alfalfa sprouts
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced into rounds
- Prepare Avocado Cream: In a medium bowl, add avocado, garlic and lemon juice. Mash with a fork and mix well. Set aside.
- Divide tuna evenly among pita halves, then top with equal amounts of sprouts, zucchini and tomato. Finish by spreading 1 1/2 tbsp Avocado Cream in each half.
- Toast pita halves in a toaster oven for 3 minutes, until cut edges are just beginning to brown. (Alternatively, you can place pita halves on a baking sheet and bake in a 350°F oven for 8 minutes or until edges are just beginning to brown.) Place a clean, dry washcloth on top of each hot pita half and press down gently with your hand, making sure to apply even, smooth pressure so paninis are compressed instead of smashed. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size 1 pita, 3 oz tuna, 1/4 tomato, 1/4 zucchini, 1 oz sprouts, 3 tbsp avocado creme
- Calories 378
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 27 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 410 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g