Savory Stuffed Mini Pumpkins
These mushroom-and-quinoa-stuffed mini pumpkins contain all of the flavors of fall. With savory herbs and a hint of tart-sweetness from dried cranberries, these adorable little stuffed pumpkins will be the hit of your next fall gathering!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
8 mini pumpkins (about 10 to 13 ounces each)
2-3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon sea salt
Simply Organic Black Pepper, to taste
⅛ teaspoon Simply Organic Ground Nutmeg
1 cup quinoa
1 small sweet onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced or finely chopped
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
2 cups kale leaves, destemmed and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Ground Sage Leaf
½ teaspoon Simply Organic Rosemary Leaf
⅓ cup unsweetened dried cranberries
½ cup apple cider
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a sharp serrated knife, slice tops off mini pumpkins; scoop out seeds and place pumpkins on a baking sheet. Rub inside flesh with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, or until pumpkins are just tender (will vary based on size of pumpkins).
- Meanwhile, in a pot, gently bring quinoa and 2 cups water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until fluffy. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the onion, and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and kale leaves. Cook, stirring occasionally until tender and caramelized.
- Add sage and rosemary and cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes, then add quinoa, cranberries and apple cider, cooking until cider is absorbed.
- Arrange pumpkins in a large baking dish and stuff each with quinoa mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for an additional 10 to 20 minutes, until pumpkins are soft and stuffing is heated through. Serve hot.
- Serving Size 1 pumpkin
- Calories 210
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 80 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g