Shrimp Scampi Melt
Traditionally served over pasta, shrimp scampi is simply shrimp sautéed with fragrant garlic in oil or butter. With its mozzarella crust and homemade bread crumbs, we dare to say that our sandwich version is even better than the original!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more quick and easy meals here!
- 6 slices whole-grain bread, divided
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, green parts only, minced
- 12 oz deveined shrimp, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- Arrange oven rack 6 inches from top heat source. Preheat broiler to high. Tear 2 slices bread into rough crumbs. On a heavy foil-lined baking sheet or broiler pan, spread torn bread and remaining 4 whole slices bread. Transfer to top oven rack and broil until toasted.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium. Add pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add shrimp, garlic and basil and sauté, stirring often, for 5 minutes, until shrimp are opaque throughout. Drain mixture through a fine mesh colander.
- Top whole bread slices with shrimp mixture, bread crumbs and cheese, dividing evenly. Broil until cheese begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 slices bread, 4 oz shrimp mixture, 1 oz mozzarella
- Calories 296
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 147 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 30 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 469 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1.5 g