Spanakopita-Inspired Chicken Quesadillas
Cheesy quesadillas have universal appeal for lunch or dinner. Serve with a simple green salad and sprinkle green onions on top for a pretty presentation.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, halved lengthwise, patted dry
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, or as needed, divided
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt, divided
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 10 oz baby spinach
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 tsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp dried oregano, divided
- 8 8- to 10-inch whole-grain tortillas
- ¾ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup crumbled feta (or to make it dairy-free, substitute both cheeses for dairy-free versions; TRY: Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Feta Crumbles)
- Preheat oven to 425°F; line a large baking sheet with parchment. Rub chicken with enough oil to coat; season with garlic powder and one-half each of salt and pepper. Spread on baking sheet and bake until cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes, flipping halfway. Transfer to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, shred. Reduce oven to 200°F.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet on medium; add enough oil to coat. Add spinach, a handful at a time, until one-half of spinach is in skillet. Add one-half of garlic, one-half of onion and one-half of oregano; season with pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until spinach has wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander. Repeat with oil, remaining one-half each of spinach, garlic, onion and oregano and pinch of salt.
- Wipe out skillet; place on medium heat and add enough oil to coat pan. Add 2 tortillas; top each with spinach, chicken and both cheeses, spreading evenly. Top each with another tortilla and cook until bottom tortillas are golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until cheeses have melted and both sides are golden, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Transfer quesadillas to oven to keep warm; repeat with remaining oil, tortillas, spinach, chicken and cheese. Cut quesadillas into wedges.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 621
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 140 mg
- Fat Content 38 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 35 g
- Saturated Fat Content 13 g
- Sodium Content 887 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 21 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g