Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 to 5 russet potatoes (about 20 oz), grated
- 4 large eggs, plus 4 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 6-oz BPA-free cans or pouches wild salmon, drained and flaked with a fork
- 3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Mist a nonstick muffin tin with cooking spray. (Alternatively, arrange 12 silicone muffin liners on a large rimmed baking sheet.)
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, 1 whole egg, tapioca flour, salt and pepper. Scoop 1/4 cup mixture into each muffin cup, pressing mixture into bottom of cups and up the sides to form a bowl-like shape, about 1/4-inch thick on all sides. Bake for 25 minutes, until browned around the edges. Remove from oven and let cool, about 10 minutes, and reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium. Add scallions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk remaining 3 whole eggs, egg whites and yogurt until smooth. With a rubber spatula, fold in scallion mixture, salmon, goat cheese and dill. Spoon mixture into muffin tins, in the center of potato mixture, dividing evenly. Bake for 20 minutes, until set (firm and not wobbly in the center). Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Slide a thin knife around edges of quiches and carefully wiggle them out of cups (remove silicone muffin cups if using).
Nutrients per serving (2 quiches): Calories: 269, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Carbs: 20 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 28 g, Sodium: 533 mg, Cholesterol: 188 mg