Caramelized Banana Pudding Parfait
A luscious butterscotch-flavored pudding layered with caramelized bananas and a toasted oat crumble makes this a must-try dessert.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar, divided
- ¼ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tbsp oat flour (TIP: You can purchase oat flour, but it’s easy to make your own: Simply grind rolled oats in a spice grinder until it reaches the consistency of flour.)
- 3 tbsp chilled organic unsalted butter, divided
- 3 tbsp potato starch
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 bananas
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F. In a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp coconut sugar, oats and oat flour. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 1 tbsp butter until a fine crumb is achieved. (Alternatively, rub mixture with your fingers to crush butter into flour mixture.) Spread mixture on a small parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Let cool completely on sheet.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, stir together ½ cup coconut sugar, potato starch and salt. Stir in 3 tbsp milk to form a smooth paste, stirring until no white streaks remain and sugar has dissolved. Whisk in remaining milk and set on medium heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until mixture begins to thicken, 4 to 5 minutes, then whisk vigorously until large bubbles appear and break on the surface. Continue to cook 1 minute longer, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and 1 tbsp butter. Transfer to a bowl and place plastic wrap on the surface; place in fridge until set, 1 hour.
- To serve, slice bananas thinly. In a medium skillet on medium, heat remaining 1 tbsp butter until melted and foamy, 1 minute. Add remaining 2 tbsp coconut sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved, 30 to 40 seconds. Add banana slices and cook, flipping once, until golden and covered in syrup, 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- To assemble, divide half of pudding mixture between 6 bowls, top with half of bananas and half of crumble mixture, dividing evenly. Repeat to form a second layer. (MAKE AHEAD: Crumble mixture can be made 2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container. Pudding can be made up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated. Just before serving, prepare caramelized bananas then whisk pudding and assemble as directed.)
- Serving Size 1 parfait
- Calories 286
- Carbohydrate Content 52 g
- Cholesterol Content 23 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 1.5 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 128 mg
- Sugar Content 39 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0.5 g