Chef Stephanie Wright’s Soothing Vegan Golden Milk
Warming, comforting and wonderfully cozy, this vegan spin on tumermic-infused milk is great for your physical health as well as your overall wellness.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Time and time again, I have found the key to any challenge can be unlocked with food magic. To invoke the power of your inner agni or digestive fire, you can seek out the power warming ingredients such as fresh ginger and turmeric to ignite your internal flame. Adding the zest of an orange peel and the comfort of cardamom to a cooling almond milk helps tame the fire within while soothing the body, mind and spirit.
Vegan Golden Milk
- 6 cups almond milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 inches fresh ginger, grated
- 2 inches fresh turmeric, grated
- 10 cardamom pods
- 3 teaspoons orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lime, juice
- Heat a sauce pot on medium high heat. Add the almond milk and maple syrup to the sauce pot and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the grated ginger, turmeric, cardamom pods, orange peel and ground pepper to the sweetened almond milk and bring to a boil. Once the mixture reaches a boil, lower the temperature to a simmer and allow the flavors to combine for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove the sauce pot from heat and set aside. Pour the contents through a sieve to remove the grated turmeric, ginger and cardamom pods. Garnish with lime juice. Serve either warm or room temperature.
For more on this recipe, visit the Manna Cooking app.