Chipotle Honey–Roasted Chicken with Stewed Pinto Beans
Sweet and spicy chicken tops saucy pinto beans in this easy recipe. For a change, you can make this dish into a wrap – simply shred the chicken and serve it with the beans in warm whole-wheat tortillas.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
COST PER PLATE: $3.78
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 2 1/2 tsp safflower oil, divided
- 1 tsp lime zest plus 2 tsp fresh lime juice, divided
- 1/4 plus 1/8 tsp chipotle chile powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- Pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 1/2 lb total)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped seeded jalapeño chile pepper
- 1 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted pinto beans, drained and rinsed (TRY: Eden Organic Pinto Beans)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and mist with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine honey, 2 tsp oil, lime juice, 1/4 tsp chile powder, 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper.
- Using paper towels, pat chicken dry and place on prepared sheet. Brush chicken evenly with honey mixture. Roast for about 30 to 35 minutes, turning over halfway, until golden brown and chicken reaches 165°F when tested with an instant read thermometer in thickest part. Remove from oven, cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Using tongs, turn chicken to dip both sides in caramelized juices on sheet. (Alternatively, use a brush to brush it on.)
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan on medium, heat remaining 1/2 tsp oil. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, remaining 1⁄8 tsp chile powder and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Sauté until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and sauté for 1 minute. Add beans and broth, and bring to a simmer on medium-high. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes more. Stir in lime zest and 2 tbsp cilantro.
- Divide beans among shallow bowls and top each serving with 1 piece of chicken. Drizzle any remaining juices from baking pan over chicken and sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp cilantro.
- Serving Size 1 roasted chicken breast and 1/2 cup beans
- Calories 422
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 166 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 58 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 387 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g