This Anti-Inflammatory, Antioxidant-Rich Turmeric Margarita is a Must-Try Winter Cocktail
This soothing sipper looks like sunshine in a glass.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
We’re big fans of turmeric, a golden root used since antiquity in both cooking and ancient medicine. This spice contains compounds called curcuminoids, which have potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. And while turmeric is often relegated to golden lattes and supplements, we’re using it in a totally new way: a bold, beautiful margarita.
Often extra-sugary in flavor, we’re changing things up and making the classic margarita bolder and better for you. Forget the store-bought, prepackaged mix – with just a few fresh ingredients, you can whip up a cocktail that’s pleasantly surprising. It’s just what you’ll want to serve guests while you’re hosting gatherings and holidays all winter long.
In our Clementine Turmeric Margarita, we’re bringing together the anti-inflammatory powerhouse that is turmeric and mixing its uniquely bold flavor profile with tangy, sweet clementines. While turmeric offers antioxidants of its own, the addition of clementines makes this margarita even more chock-full of antioxidants. Plus, clementines are also anti-inflammatory, so this bold cocktail is designed to soothe inflammation in multiple ways. And what’s a good margarita without a salt rim and a bit of a spicy kick? We’ve added a little cayenne to the pink Himalayan salt rim so every sip offers distinct flavor.
Clementine Turmeric Margarita
- 1 tbsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp clementine zest
- 8 clementines, juiced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 3 limes, juiced
- 8 oz tequila
- 2 cups ice
- 4 sprigs mint
- To a shallow dish, add salt, cayenne and zest and mix to combine. Using a juiced clementine half, dampen rims of serving glasses. Dip rims into salt mixture to coat.
- To a small bowl, add turmeric, honey and hot water. Stir to dissolve.
- Make margarita: In a cocktail shaker or pint glass, stir together clementine juice, lime juice, tequila and turmeric-honey mixture.
- Fill serving glasses with ice. Pour margarita mixture over ice and garnish with mint.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 215
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 577 mg
- Sugar Content 19 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g