Coconut Tofu Dippers with Mango Curry Sauce
Coated in coconut, panko and cashew meal, these tofu bites are accompanied by a decadent curry-scented sauce made with coconut milk and mango.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 114-oz block firm organic tofu, pressed (TRY: Nasoya Organic Firm Tofu)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 egg white
- 6 tbsp coconut milk, divided
- 1/3 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp cashew or almond meal
- 1⁄2 cup peeled, pitted and chopped mango
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1tspreduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1⁄2 tsp yellow curry powder
- Remove tofu from package and drain. Wrap snuggly in a dish towel and set on a large plate. Place another plate over top and place a large can on top of plate to weigh it down. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight. Slice into 8 strips widthwise, then cut each in half crosswise, making 16 rectangles.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and mist with cooking spray.
- In a shallow dish, combine arrowroot and ginger. In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and 2 tbsp coconut milk. In another shallow dish, combine shredded coconut, panko and cashew meal.
- Working with 2 pieces at a time, dip tofu into arrowroot mixture, then turn to coat and shake off excess. Next, dip tofu into egg white mixture and finish by rolling in shredded coconut mixture. Transfer to wire rack. Repeat with remaining tofu. Bake for 30 minutes, turning halfway. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small food processor or blender, combine mango, remaining 1⁄4 cup coconut milk, lime juice, soy sauce, vinegar, honey and curry powder and process until smooth.
- Divide tofu among 4 snack-size serving containers and spoon 2 tbsp dipping sauce into small airtight containers.
- Serving Size 4 pieces of Coconut tofu dippers and 2 tbsp dipping sauce
- Calories 278
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8.5 g
- Sodium Content 81 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g