Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more one-skillet recipes here!
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large, deep ovenproof skillet on medium, add beef, onion, celery and garlic and sauté, breaking up with a spoon, until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chile powder, cumin and oregano. Cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, broth and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare corn bread: In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt. In a small bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk and oil; pour over flour mixture and add cilantro. Stir just until combined; spoon mixture evenly over chili in 8 dollops.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until corn bread is golden and cooked through. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Switch oven to broil setting on high and broil, watching closely, until cheese is bubbling, 1 minute. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cups and 1 piece of corn bread
- Calories 218
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 31 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 393 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g