Cornmeal Pancakes with Black Bean Salsa & Cilantro Yogurt
Pancakes take a savory turn with this almond and cornmeal version topped with black bean salsa and a drizzle of cilantro-infused yogurt.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
You can make all the components of these pancakes in advance and simply heat them in the morning in the toaster oven. To make it extra fancy, try garnishing with sprouts or microgreens.
1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
1 roma tomato, diced
¼ cup diced red onion
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp lime zest + 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
¼ tsp each chile powder and sea salt
½ cup whole-milk yogurt
3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
¼ tsp sea salt
⅛ tsp ground black pepper
1 cup almond flour
⅔ cup fine-ground cornmeal
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ cup arrowroot
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
2 large eggs
¾ cup whole-milk buttermilk
1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1. In a medium bowl, combine all salsa ingredients. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, stir together all yogurt ingredients. Set aside.
3. Prepare pancakes: In a large bowl, combine almond flour, cornmeal, coconut flour, arrowroot, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in jalapeño.
4. Mist a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium. Working in batches, pour in batter, ¼ cup per pancake. Cook until bubbles form on top, 2 minutes; flip and cook until the second side is golden brown, about 2 minutes more. Repeat, making a total of 8 pancakes.
5. Divide pancakes among plates and top with salsa and yogurt.
- Serving Size 2 pancakes with toppings
- Calories 550
- Carbohydrate Content 55 g
- Cholesterol Content 102 mg
- Fat Content 29 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 905 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 16 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g