Golden Cauliflower Soup
This inflammation-fighting cauliflower soup is flavored with turmeric and coconut for a spicy, creamy meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into chunks (about 4 cups)
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, peel on
- 1½ tbsp peeled and chopped ginger
- 2 tsp each ground turmeric and ground cumin (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Turmeric and Ground Cumin)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (TRY: Simply Organic Smoked Paprika)
- ¼ tsp each red pepper flakes and ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper Flakes and Ground Black Pepper)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 13.5-oz BPA-free can full-fat coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place cauliflower, shallot and carrot on sheet and toss with one- half of oil. Sprinkle with salt. Wrap garlic in a small square of foil and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, until cauliflower and carrot are starting to turn golden and are fork-tender. Set vegetables aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan on medium. Add remaining one- half of oil, ginger, turmeric, cumin, smoked paprika, pepper flakes and black pepper. Toast spices for 1 minute. Add one-quarter of broth and coconut milk, bring to a simmer then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. When cool enough to handle, remove garlic from foil; remove peel and discard. To a blender, add garlic and remaining roasted vegetables and ginger mixture. Blend on low and slowly increase speed to purée the vegetables. Slowly stream in remaining three-quarters of broth and blend until very smooth, about 1 minute. Return to saucepan over medium heat until heated through. Top servings with cilantro.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, freeze 2 servings of the soup, thaw and reheat when called for. Refrigerate remaining soup.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 318
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 28 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 19 g
- Sodium Content 429 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g