Grilled Cod & Poblano Tacos with Gremolata
There’s nothing that says breezy beach barbecue like fish tacos. In this recipe, we layer grilled cod with poblanos, avocados and gremolata, a mix of fragrant chopped herbs, garlic and lime zest. We chop the herbs by hand here, but feel free to pulse ingredients in the food processor if you prefer.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
MAKE AHEAD: Cut, stem and seed poblanos. Prepare the gremolata (through Step 1). Cut foil and parchment pieces for the grill.
FINISH ON SITE: Grill tortillas, poblanos, avocados and cod; assemble tacos.
PACK THESE TOOLS: Grill, grilling tongs, brush, spatula, knife, cutting board and fork.
6 tbsp fresh cilantro
¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 cloves garlic
½ red jalapeño or serrano chile, halved and seeded
2 tsp finely chopped lime zest + 3 limes, quartered, for serving
12 6-inch corn tortillas
4 poblanos (4 oz each), each cut into 3–4 large pieces, stemmed and seeded
4½ tbsp olive oil, divided
3 avocados, halved and pitted
1¼ tsp sea salt, divided
¾ tsp ground black pepper, divided
1½ lb skinless cod fillets
1 tsp ground coriander
1. Prepare gremolata: On a cutting board, chop cilantro, parsley, garlic, chile and lime zest together (or pulse together in a food processor). Transfer to a portable lidded container; refrigerate.
2. Preheat a grill or grill pan on medium. Grill tortillas until grill-marked, about 2 minutes per side.
3. Brush poblanos with 2 tbsp oil and halved avocados with 1 tbsp oil. Grill avocados on high, cut side down, until grill-marked, about 2 minutes. Grill poblanos until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes per side. Season poblanos with ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Thinly slice poblanos crosswise and thinly slice avocados.
4. Reduce heat on grill to medium. Brush cod with remaining 1½ tbsp oil, sprinkle with coriander, ¾ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper, and grill until marked and flaky, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and flake into large chunks. (NOTE: To prevent delicate fish from flaking too much on the grill, cut pieces of foil an inch wider than the size of the fish and line with a smaller piece of parchment paper. Brush generously with oil, then cookw fish on top. If you’re using a grill pan, you can place fish straight into pan.)
5. Divide avocados, poblano, flaked fish and gremolata among tortillas. Serve with lime wedges.
- Serving Size 2 tacos
- Calories 481
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 43 mg
- Fat Content 28 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 482 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 19 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g