Grilled Eggplant Caprese
A twist on a typical Caprese salad, our version uses grilled eggplant slices that you can make ahead for easier prep.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
For the dressing, you can use a simple splash of olive oil and balsamic as the recipe indicates, or use our Macadamia Basil Pesto for a more herbal flavor.
- 2 eggplants, sliced then grilled (14 to 16 slices; Try our Mixed Grilled Vegetables)
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, sliced (TIP: You could also mix it up and use ½ cup cherry tomatoes, or use a mix of both.)
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil (or use whole basil leaves)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ⅛ tsp each coarse sea salt and ground black pepper
Spread eggplant, tomato and mozzarella slices on a platter. Scatter basil on top. Drizzle with oil and vinegar then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Alternatively, drizzle with Macadamia Basil Pesto.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 243
- Carbohydrate Content 7 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7.5 g
- Sodium Content 179 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g