Miso-Glazed Eggplant Skewers with Green Lentil Salad
Sof eggplant, roasted on skewers, t is nestled onto a bed of green lentils drizzled with a delicious miso glaze.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The eggplant is a high-fiber, low-calorie plant from the nightshade family. While research is still in early days, scientists believe that eggplant’s high antioxidant value has cardioprotective effects, reducing risk of heart disease by lowering levels of markers such as triglycerides that, when elevated, can point to increased risk of heart disease.
- 3 tbsp red miso paste
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 3 Japanese eggplants (about 11/3 lb total), trimmed, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup dry green lentils, rinsed
- 2½ cups frozen edamame
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp ground cumin (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cumin)
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 8 metal or soaked wooden skewers
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, whisk together miso, mustard and coconut aminos. Add eggplant; toss to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes. Slide pieces onto skewers, ensuring cut sides face same direction.
- Place skewers cut side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until eggplant is browned.
- Meanwhile, to a large saucepan on medium-high, add water and lentils. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, until tender. Add edamame and cook 3 minutes more. Drain; place in a large bowl.
- Prepare dressing: In small skillet on low, heat one-third of oil. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in cumin and coriander. Whisk in lemon zest and juice, remaining two-thirds of oil, salt and pepper. Pour warm dressing over lentils. Stir in parsley and mint. Serve skewers over the lentil salad.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 342
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 737 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g