Keto-Friendly Grapefruit & Smoked Salmon Salad
You might think that a lower-carb diet excludes fruits and vegetables, but this gorgeous salad – rich with creamy avocado, crisp radishes and crunchy butter lettuce – proves that's not the case.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Making the switch to a low-carb, high-fat diet isn’t always easy. To keep yourself on the right keto path, you’ve got to stick with ingredients and recipes that don’t add too many carbohydrates into your meals, which leads many people to make the mistake of eliminating all vegetables from their diet. Our Grapefruit & Smoked Salmon Salad, however, has all of your bases covered. It’s quick and easy to make (and there’s no actual cooking required!), and it features fruits and veggies that are all low-carb and perfectly keto-friendly.
While it’s easy to lean into the “fun” foods that the keto diet is well-known for – like butter, bacon and cheese – this approach isn’t just about high-fat foods. To ensure you’re getting all of the nutrients your body needs and are cutting back on carbohydrates, it’s still important to eat your veggies once you’ve gone keto. And though some starchy veg varieties are carb-rich, there are plenty of other plants that are low-carb. Lettuce, like the butter lettuce that makes up the base of this salad, is very low in carbs. Cucumbers, which are a crunchy addition to this recipe, are also a great keto choice.
And if you need a meal that doesn’t require a whole lot of prep time and cooking effort, this Grapefruit & Smoked Salmon Salad is a huge timesaver. It takes just 15 minutes to whip up, all without turning on your stove or cranking up the heat in the oven. It’s your busy-day solution for lunch or dinner, with satisfying protein and hunger-satiating fiber.
Grapefruit & Smoked Salmon Salad
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1⁄2 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cups butter lettuce, torn
- 2 cups mixed sprouts (such as sunflower and radish)
- 1 small grapefruit, peel and pith removed, segmented
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 mini cucumbers, sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 12 oz hot smoked salmon, broken into pieces
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds, toasted
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lime zest and juice, jalapeño, mustard, salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, place lettuce, sprouts, grapefruit segments, avocado, cucumber, radish and onion. Add salad dressing and gently toss. Divide salad among plates. Garnish with smoked salmon and sunflower seeds.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 385
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 24 mg
- Fat Content 26 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 579 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 14 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g