Old-Fashioned Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 1⁄4 cups coconut sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup dark chocolate, chopped + additional for garnish
- ¾ tsp flaky sea salt
- Make coconut syrup: To a small saucepan on medium-high, add coconut sugar and water; bring to a gentle simmer for 1 minute, whisking to dissolve. Pour into a heat-proof measuring cup to cool.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or to a large bowl using an electric hand mixer), add cream. Whisk cream on low speed at first and gradually increase to high speed, until stiff peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Add vanilla and run mixer on low for 30 seconds more.
- Add one-half of coconut syrup and gently fold to combine. Add chopped chocolate and salt. Gently mix until combined.
- Transfer mixture to a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Drizzle with remaining coconut syrup and garnish with additional chocolate. Cover tightly with a lid or beeswax wrap and freeze for 4 to 5 hours, or overnight. Remove from freezer, scoop and serve immediately.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 528
- Cholesterol Content 91 mg
- Fat Content 34 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 21 g
- Sodium Content 335 mg
- Sugar Content 55 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 9 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g