Bell peppers are stuffed with quinoa, tomatoes and veggies for a hearty, healthy protein-packed meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
2 bell peppers (any color), halved and seeded, stems intact
½ cup uncooked quinoa
½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
7 oz diced tomatoes, no salt added
5 oz spinach
1 tbsp pine nuts
2 cups basil or spinach
½ clove garlic
1½ tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp pine nuts
1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄8 tsp sea salt
1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
1. Prepare peppers: Preheat broiler to high. Place bell peppers, skin-side-up, on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil. Broil until bell peppers start to soften, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine quinoa, broth and tomatoes in a medium pot. Bring to a boil on high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Add handfuls of spinach to quinoa mixture and stir to combine. Fill bell pepper halves with quinoa-spinach mixture, dividing evenly.
3. Prepare pesto: Add basil, garlic, Parmesan, pine nuts, oil, salt and pepper to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add 2 to 3 tbsp water as needed to thin pesto, if desired.
4. Top stuffed peppers with pesto, dividing evenly, or serve on the side. Sprinkle remaining pine nuts over stuffed peppers, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size 2 stuffed halves
- Calories 388
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 4 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 327 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g