Roasted Potatoes with Red Pepper Almond Sauce
Called patatas bravas in Spanish, or “fierce potatoes,” these crispy little nuggets of potato are usually deep-fried in olive oil, but they’re equally wonderful roasted in the oven with just a kiss of oil as we’ve done. Serve with romesco, a rich sauce made of roasted peppers and almonds that’s great on any roasted vegetable, and garnish with chopped almonds or a spinkle of smoked paprika.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 1/2 lb small baby potatoes (or Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 5-oz jar roasted piquillo or red bell peppers, drained and liquid reserved
- 1/4 cup unseasoned blanched Marcona almonds (or blanched almonds), toasted
- 3 tbsp sherry wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Make the potatoes: Place a rimmed baking sheet in cold oven and preheat to 400°F. In a large bowl, toss together potatoes, oil, salt and pepper. When oven reaches 400°F, arrange potatoes on preheated baking sheet. Roast, stirring once, until golden brown and crispy, about 30 minutes.
(TIP: Preheating the baking sheet makes for crispier potatoes that won’t stick to the pan.)
2. Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a blender, purée together peppers, almonds, vinegar, garlic and paprika. With the motor running, through the hole in the lid, slowly pour in oil in a steady stream until smooth. (If mixture is too thick to blend, add a small amount of reserved pepper liquid to loosen.)
3. Spoon potatoes into a large bowl. Serve with sauce for dipping or drizzle over top.
MAKE AHEAD: Make the sauce and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature before serving with freshly made potatoes.
- Serving Size 1/3 cup potatoes and 1 1/2 tbsp sauce
- Calories 188
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 165 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1.5 g