Sesame Beef Lettuce Cups
Don't be fooled – lettuce wraps can be hearty with the right filling! This mixture uses ground beef and a combination of mushrooms including cremini plus your choice of shiitake or enoki for a satisfying meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
NOTE: If following our meal plan, store beef mixture and lettuce separately. Heat beef mixture then assemble right before eating.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
1 tbsp sesame oil
½ cup diced yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Ginger)
8 oz ground beef
1 cup chopped cremini mushrooms
1 cup shiitake and/or enoki mushrooms, sliced if large
- 5 tsp reduced-sodium tamari (TRY: San J Reduced-Sodium Tamari)
8 butter lettuce leaves
2 tbsp sesame seeds hot sauce, optional
¼ cup sliced green onions
- In a medium skillet on medium, heat oil. Add yellow onion and sauté for 4 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add beef and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until browned.
- Add cremini and shiitake mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in tamari and remove from heat.
- To assemble, stack 2 lettuce leaves on top of each other and place one-quarter of beef mixture over top. Top with sesame seeds and hot sauce (if using). Sprinkle with green onions. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serving Size 2 lettuce cups
- Calories 373
- Carbohydrate Content 13.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 73 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 29 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 666 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 9 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g