Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Meanwhile, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare shiitake bacon: Toss shiitake caps with avocado oil, coconut aminos, ¼ tsp paprika and ½ tsp salt. Spread in a single layer on baking sheet and bake until golden and beginning to crisp, 25 to 30 minutes, stirring once or twice during baking time. (Bacon will crisp up further as it cools.)
2. Prepare mayonnaise: In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, honey, ¼ tsp paprika, mushroom powder (if using) and ¼ tsp salt until well combined. Gradually drizzle in oil in a fine stream, whisking constantly to make sure mixture is emulsifying. When mixture is emulsified, season with additional salt, if desired. (NOTE: You can also process all ingredients in a food processor until emulsified, 5 to 10 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl several times.)
3. Place 1 slice of bread on each of 2 plates. Spread about 1 tbsp mayo on each bread slice. Top each evenly with lettuce, tomato and avocado. Press shiitake bacon on top. Top each slice with another piece of bread.
- Serving Size 1 sandwich
- Calories 516
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 37 mg
- Fat Content 34 g
- Fiber Content 7.5 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 897 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 17 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 11 g