Smoked Salmon, Leek & Cauliflower Gratin
Creamy veggies and smoked salmon are topped with Parmesan and almonds in this 30-minute gratin recipe.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, plus additional for greasing baking dish
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4cups grated Swiss or Gruyère cheese, divided
- 8 oz thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 4 tsp chopped fresh chives or flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook cauliflower for 3 minutes. Add leeks and cook until vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes; drain well. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, melt oil on medium. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in milk and bring to a simmer, whisking often. Whisk in paprika, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and whisk in 1 cup Swiss cheese until blended. Pour sauce over cauliflower mixture and add salmon, stirring to combine. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish; scrape mixture into dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan and remaining 1/4 cup Swiss cheese. Top with almonds.
- Bake until cheese is bubbly and nuts are golden, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chives.
- Serving Size 1/6 of gratin
- Calories 298
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 32 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 467 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1.5 g