Strawberry Ginger Crisp
An edgier take on a classic crisp, our version uses ginger and five-spice powder for a little heat. Make it in advance and pack it to go, adding yogurt to each as it’s served.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
MAKE AHEAD: Make the crisp (through Step 3).
FINISH ON SITE: Serve with yogurt (if using).
PACK THESE TOOLS: Serving spoon.
¼ cup whole-wheat flour, divided
¼ cup date sugar, divided
1 tbsp fresh orange juice
2 lb strawberries, chopped
2 tsp peeled and finely chopped ginger
½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
3 tbsp chopped unsalted walnuts
3 tbsp organic unsalted butter, melted
½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
whole-milk yogurt, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp flour, 1 tbsp sugar and orange juice. Add strawberries and ginger and toss.
2. Prepare topping: In a medium bowl, combine oats, walnuts, butter, remaining 2 tbsp flour, 3 tbsp sugar and five-spice.
3. Transfer strawberry mixture to an 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Crumble oat mixture on top in an even layer. Bake until top is golden and base is bubbly, about 40 minutes.
4. Garnish servings with yogurt (if using).
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 168
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 13 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 2 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g