The Heartiest Spicy Chipotle Bison Chili
We're going to need a bigger bowl...
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
If it’s cold, rainy or snowy outside, you can bet I’m going to be whipping up some chili.
This chipotle bison chili has just enough of a kick to clear out my sinuses, but is also so hearty and protein-packed. Bison meat has higher amounts of micronutrients compared to beef, with more vitamin B12, zinc, iron and omega-3 fatty acids. In terms of taste, bison tends to have a delicate flavor profile and some say it’s a bit sweeter than other meat.
FYI – if chipotle chiles are a little too hot for your palate, try substituting them with 1/2 Tbsp. of smoked paprika. This will still give your chili that smoky flavor you want but with a much milder spice.
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 1 can chipotle chiles, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce
- 1 15-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1 1tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 15 oz.-can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat avocado oil.
- Add 1 yellow onion, chopped, and cubed butternut squash; cook 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and ground bison; cook 5 minutes, breaking up bison with a spoon.
- Add ½ of a canned chipotle chile and adobo sauce, fire-roasted diced tomatoes, ground cumin, chile powder and smoked paprika, black pepper and salt; heat on low for 45 minutes.
- Stir in 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained; cook 15 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest and juice.