White Bean & Roasted Red Pepper Toasts with Avocado
Toast is the fastest, easiest breakfast ever — and this one is packed with protein and plenty of fiber from this flavorful bean spread. Make it the night before for faster breakfast prep. We’ve suggested some options for toppings, but you can also customize it with ingredients you have at home.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Avoiding Gluten or Grains?
Swap the whole-grain bread for CE’s Ultimate Grain-Free Sandwich Bread on cleaneating.com. Made with egg whites, it will also boost the protein content of your breakfast even further.
- 2 cups BPA-free canned unsalted great northern or other white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small roasted red pepper, drained 1 tbsp olive oil + additional for drizzling (NOTE: We love using an olive oil blend with added omegas such as Carlson Olive Your Heart, Natural.)
- 1 clove garlic, optional
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
- 2 small avocados, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- Optional toppings: baby spinach, olives, sprouts, tomatoes, radishes, micorgreens, pomegranate seeds, fried egg, edamame, onion, herbs or hot sauce
- In a food processor, combine beans, red pepper, oil, garlic (if using), salt and pepper flakes. Process until smooth and creamy. (MAKE AHEAD: Mixture can be made the night before; cover and refrigerate.)
- Just before serving, toast bread slices. Spread bean mixture on toast. Top with avocado and optional toppings. Drizzle with additional oil.
- Serving Size 1 toast with bean spread and avocado
- Calories 405
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 14 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 316 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g