Whole-Wheat French Crepes with Fresh Strawberry Sauce
Both the crepe batter and the luscious strawberry sauce can be made up to 24 hours in advance – simply cover and refrigerate until needed.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat or whole milk
- 1 tbsp safflower oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, stemmed and chopped, plus 10 additional berries, stemmed and sliced, divided
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- Olive oil cooking spray
- To a large bowl, add eggs and beat lightly with a whisk. Add milk, 2/3 cup water, oil and ¼ tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt; whisk until combined. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Set aside for at least 30 minutes or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 lb chopped strawberries, lemon juice, honey and remaining 1/8 tsp salt. Turn heat to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture starts to bubble and berries release their juices, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until berries break down and mixture is syrupy, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully transfer to a blender and purée until smooth. (TIP: When puréeing hot liquids, always remove the stopper in blender lid and cover lid with a clean towel to allow steam to escape.) Cover to keep warm or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Mist a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Using a ¼-cup measuring scoop, add a scant ¼ cup of batter to skillet and immediately tilt pan to swirl batter, evenly coating base of pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook until bottom side is light golden brown, about 1 minute. Loosen edges with a spatula and flip. Cook until opposite side is golden brown, 30 to 45 seconds more. Slide onto a plate and roll up. Transfer to a baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm. Repeat, making 10 crepes total, misting skillet with cooking spray each time.
- Place 2 crepes on each serving plate. Top each serving with about 3 tbsp sauce and garnish with remaining 10 sliced strawberries, dividing evenly. (TIP: If sauce has cooled or has been made in advance, reheat in a saucepan on medium-low.)
- Serving Size 2 crepes and 3 Tbsp sauce
- Calories 225
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 114 mg
- Fat Content 7.5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 251 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g