Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough
This quick-and-easy pizza dough is perfect for throwing on the grill and makes enough for two pizzas. Use the dough to make our Barbecue Chicken and Pineapple Turkey Bacon Pizzas, or use it as a base for your own favorite toppings.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 1/4 cups warm water, about 105ºF
- 1 1/4 oz package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp, extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cups white whole-wheat flour (TRY: King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour)
- 2 tsp sea salt
1. In a small bowl, whisk together warm water, yeast and honey. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, until foamy. Whisk in 2 tbsp oil.
2. In a food processor fitted with a dough blade (do not use standard metal S blade), add flour and salt. Start motor and pour in liquid mixture. Process until a smooth dough ball forms and moves around processor bowl easily, about
3. Grease a large bowl with remaining ½ tsp oil and add dough ball, turning to coat lightly with oil. Cover bowl with a towel and place in a slightly warm, draft-free area for 2 to 3 hours.
NOTE: Dough can also rise in refrigerator for up to 24 hours with plastic wrap over bowl. Split in half into 2 balls. Proceed to our Barbecue Chicken Pizza or Pineapple & Turkey-Bacon Pizza, or get creative with your own toppings (see directions below).
*If adding your own toppings: Preheat a grill to medium. Roll out dough to an 8 1/2 x 13-inch rectangle or 11-inch circle with a rolling pin (no need to flour surface). Grease a large baking sheet with 1/2 tsp oil. Transfer dough to sheet and flip so that both sides have a light coating of oil.
Remove dough from sheet and place directly on the grill. Close lid and, after 2 minutes, flip over using hands or tongs, making sure dough doesn’t burn but gets grill marks and puffs up a little. While still on grill, add sauce and toppings to dough. Close lid and grill until cheese has melted but crust is not burned, about 4 minutes. If the crust is dark enough but cheese hasn’t melted, finish in a 350°F oven.
- Serving Size 1 slice/crust only
- Calories 98
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 240 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g