Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
When it comes to shared plates and an irresistible snack food spread, you’ve got to have a flatbread. Little is better than grabbing a slice of a cheesy, toppings-rich flatbread as you hang out with friends or host a get-together. And this Wild Mushroom Flatbread with Basil Oil Drizzle is meant to be divvied up, shared and enjoyed in a room full of your favorite people – just like pizza.
Mushrooms are having their moment in the sun, and why not? They’re appearing in everything from gummy supplements to your morning cup of coffee, and for good reason. Mushrooms are jammed with fiber, protein and antioxidants. And research suggests they’re not just nutritional powerhouses; mushrooms are adaptogens that may have a positive effect on your mental health and well-being, too. With a layer of your fave mushroom variety piled onto this decadent, savory flatbread, you’ll get a satisfying bite and all of the potent benefits of eating these fungi at once.
And, of course, mushrooms aren’t the only plant-based ingredient offering up must-have nutrients. From the whole-grain crust to the leafy arugula to the EVOO in the basil drizzle, this Wild Mushroom Flatbread is one app that’s going to taste as good as it is for your health.
Wild Mushroom Flatbread with Basil Oil Drizzle
- Place basil, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and water into a mini food processor; blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet over medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and season with one-half of the salt and pepper, stirring to combine. Continue cooking on low, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft and begin to stick to the pan, 7 to 9 minutes longer. Transfer onions to a bowl; wipe out skillet.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil on medium-high. Add mushrooms and remaining salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until softened slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Place in a bowl; keep warm.
- Place flatbread on prepared sheet and bake until it begins to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Top with mushrooms, onions and cheese and bake until cheese has melted, about 5 minutes longer.
- Transfer flatbread to a cutting board. Drizzle with basil oil and garnish with arugula. Cut into 16 squares.
- Serving Size 1/16 of recipe
- Calories 114
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 6 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 180 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0.5 g