Chilled Corn Soup with Shrimp, Avocado and Tomato Relish
This cool, colorful soup is the perfect way to celebrate summer's best sweet corn and plump grape tomatoes.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Looking for more delicious and clean corn recipes? Click here.
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Total time: 5 hours (including 4 hours of chilling time)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 3 ears corn, husked, silk removed
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- 6 oz grape tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 8 to 10 leaves fresh, thinly-sliced basil
- 8 oz small or medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- In a large saucepan on low, heat oil until melted. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, over a large bowl, cut corn kernels from cobs. (TIP: A sharp, serrated knife would work well.) With a heavy knife, cut each cob into 2 to 3 pieces.
- Add corn kernels and pieces of cob to pot with leeks. Add broth and 2 cups water, and increase heat to high. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and discard cobs. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes, then purée soup with an immersion blender. (Alternatively, carefully purée soup in batches in a food processor or blender.) Transfer to a large bowl, cover and chill for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- In a small bowl, toss avocado, tomatoes and basil.
- Heat a nonstick skillet on medium. Season shrimp with salt and pepper, add to skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, turning once, until just opaque.
- Just before serving, stir lime juice into chilled soup. Ladle into bowls and garnish with avocado-tomato mixture and shrimp, dividing evenly.
Nutrients per serving (1 1/2 cups soup and 1/2 cup relish): Calories: 251, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 4 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 26 g, Fiber: 6 g, Protein: 15 g, Sugars: 6 g, Sodium: 398 mg, Cholesterol: 86 mg